I'll pay someone to tell me what to buy, what to wear and how to wear it
March 24, 2013 9:42 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for information about working with a personal stylist or personal shopper, especially as a plus-size woman. Could I? Should I?
posted by subbes to clothing, beauty, & fashion (26 answers total) 22 users marked this as a favorite
I just moved to San Francisco (well, OK, Marin county) and discovered that I need to learn how to dress properly. I have no fashion sense or style*.
It looks like I need a third party to hold my hand and teach me everything about clothing myself, starting right at the very beginning.
I need someone who can:
- explain fashion, style, and clothes to me like the 6 year old I clearly am
- teach me everything about my size and shape and color and what works with it
- help me create work and casual wardrobes, made from items already in my closet, and new things they'll help me shop for
- give me a bunch of simple algorithms I can plug into my future shopping and getting-dressed routines when I'm doing it alone.
Is this what a personal shopper/stylist can do for me? Where can I find one? What should I expect? What does it cost? Have you ever worked with one? How did it go for you?
- I’m a petite US size 16/18 (which sometimes means plus-size, and sometimes doesn't). I'm almost 30 and only just learned that navy is a neutral.
- In the past month, I've spent a bunch of money (at Banana Republic, Gap, Kohl's, and Ross) trying to build a good wardrobe, but I don't think I've done it right. I get dressed in the morning, think I've put together something good, then I get into the city and realize I actually look terrible.
- I started to follow a bunch of fashion/fatshion blogs (e.g. Corporette, The Curvy Fashionista, Fat Shopaholic, GabiFresh) but I don’t think they’re really helping me; I rarely see anything I would wear/can afford.
* This is the sort of thing that can happen when you grow up in a family where everyone is plus sized and - thanks, fat-phobic society! - deeply ashamed of it.