Help me find the perfect commuter bike
March 5, 2013 9:04 PM Subscribe
I bike to work occasionally in warm weather, and my crappy road bike is not too well suited for the task. I'd like to find something more appropriate for commuting.
posted by Behemoth to sports, hobbies, & recreation (17 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite
- Slightly more comfortable riding posture compared to road bike.
- More forgiving of the occasional pothole (roads are not in great shape around here).
- Capable of holding some sort of bag (for me, any messenger bag or backpack = guaranteed huge sweat spots at all points of contact). Nothing huge, just enough to fit a laptop and a shirt or some such.
- Gearing sufficient to take the occasional hill without breaking a sweat.
- As lightweight as possible and capable of maintaining a decent speed when required (no two-wheeled tanks please).
- I would like to spend under $1k, and prefer new over used.
Also, do I want one of those belt-driven, internally geared things that seem to be getting more popular these days?