Book Pose

I'm looking for a book about yoga.

I read something recently about how the asana system is a relatively new evolution in yoga, as opposed to "Yoga" as a spiritual practice that pervades many parts of your life. I realized I have pretty much no context for either the historical evolution of yoga or the more spiritual side of yoga as an everyday practice of life (other than what I've personally experienced). So I want to read about it!

Topics I'm interested in would be something like yoga as a daily practice, yoga and spirituality, social history of yoga, etc. I love yoga and have practiced since I was a teenager and I've recently been trying to recommit myself to daily practice. I'm not opposed to new-agey or highly personal "yoga journey" type books. I would like something accessible, as in, not ancient hindu texts or a scientific breakdown of yoga's benefits unless they're readable or a particularly good reference document.
posted by Katine to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

I love, love, love, Erich Schiffmann's Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness.
Caveat: It's the ONLY yoga book that I own, so that might be seen as either short-sighted, fanatical or too lazy to buy others. Take that information as you will.
I enjoy his personal story, his explanation of asanas and 'playing with the edge' when it comes to challenging yourself and learning from that challenge.
posted by THAT William Mize at 12:14 PM on February 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

Swami Vivekananda had a series of books about the various kinds of yogas titled Raja Yoga, Bhakti Yoga and Karma Yoga, and Jnana Yoga that were to be practiced concurrent to the asanas.
posted by Burhanistan at 12:24 PM on February 18, 2013

I like Fundamentals of Yoga by Rammurti Mishra. However, it seems hard to get a copy.
posted by Obscure Reference at 1:12 PM on February 18, 2013

Inner Yoga: Selected Writings of Sri Anirvan. Explains the fundamentals of yoga outside of asanas (poses/postures).
posted by munyeca at 3:02 PM on February 18, 2013

I'm keen on Donna Farhi's books. In particular, I liked Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living.
posted by ReginaHart at 12:12 PM on February 19, 2013

« Older I'm trying to find out the mos...   |  I need a tried, tested, and tr... Newer »