Help me find a tablet PC to buy!
February 13, 2013 3:12 PM Subscribe
My Thinkpad X61 tablet is dying. Work will replace it, I just need to tell them what fancy new machine I want. But I don't have much time - the new machine needs to be ordered and delivered
by March 31! Which doesn't give me enough time to research my options. Thus I turn to you for help.
Here's what I need:
* I need to travel with it, so want something light and small. But not too small - a 10- or 11-inch screen would be good, but anything less than a 10-inch screen is getting too small to be useable.
* Must have at least one, preferably two usb ports, preferably powered. It's okay if these are on a detachable keyboard/dock.
* Must have headphone and microphone jacks. It's okay if these are on a detachable keyboard/dock.
* Must be of good quality construction (to hold up to aforementioned travel).
* Must work with a pen/stylus, not just my finger. (In fact, it's okay if it only works with the pen/stylus.)
* Aaaand the hard part: must run Linux. It's okay if it takes some insane Windows 8 UEFI Secure Boot workaround and a week or two to get Linux installed - I have access to sufficient technical expertise. But it at least has to be theoretically possible (eg. vendor has given the requisite key to a Linux distributor - preferably SuSE, second preference Fedora).
So, for example, I like the looks of the Asus VivoTab or the Toshiba Excite 10. But the VivoTab is a Windows 8 machine, and the Excite is a non-Intel-compliant Tegra 3 CPU. Both of which will almost certainly not play well with Linux.
Question 1: Does anyone know if Asus has released the boot process key signature for the VivoTab to any Linux distributor?
Question 2: Does anyone know anything about Linux on Tegra 3?
Question 3: What other options can you recommend for me that would fit my needs?