THAT OCTOPUS LOOKS LIKE A PLANT!
February 7, 2013 7:37 AM Subscribe
Help me make my step son's brain explode with some amazing/cool/unbelievable videos on the internet!
posted by PuppetMcSockerson to media & arts (15 answers total) 65 users marked this as a favorite
He is about to turn six and is a pretty awesome kid. For the past couple of months I've been trying to show him videos online of interesting/amazing things, usually related to something we just did or a question he asked. I want him growing up knowing that there are amazing things in this world, and that there is so so much to learn about and that there is so much more going on behind things than he ever imagined. I try very hard to only give him real answers, not dumb-down-to-the-point-of-being-wrong answers that I have heard a lot of people give kids. I also want him to learn that it is OKAY to say you don't know. He has asked me things that I haven't had an answer to and I say "I don't know, but lets go find out the answer together!" and then we do. Its become a bit of a bonding exercise for us and I think it is good for him in terms of being curious and interested and asking lots of questions. Each video usually brings up another question and we keep going. It would be nice to have a batch of videos to show him to get his mind turning and get him asking questions.
Obviously I'd like to keep violence and profanity out of them.
Some things I have shown him so far:
- Michael Jackson dancing, the moon walk and the "Smooth Criminal" lean in particular (following a question about dancing)
- Videos of octopi changing shape/colour (following us having drawn an octopus together and him wanting to know what colour an octopus was so that he would know the "right" colour to make it.)
- Contortionist (following him saying how he is made of rubber because he can turn his head and look at his own butt)
- underwater volcano eruptions (having played a level involving lava in Star Wars Lego)
- Dramatic Chipmunk (just for fun... since I showed it to him I have heard him sing the DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN music while he pees... best kid ever, amirite?)
So what can you give me?