How to get into academia later in life?
January 28, 2013 7:53 AM Subscribe
What possible avenues are there to get 'back' on an academic career path in your late 30s? Are there any unusual paths that I have not considered?
posted by mary8nne to Work & Money (6 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
Details / Context:
- Living in London UK (partner working in London).
- Bachelor degree (w/ hons) in Maths / Philosophy in Australia.
- Interested in pursuing Philosophy / Economic Theory / Political Theory
- Worked in mindless finance office job for 10 years.
- Currently unemployed /casually employed and spending days trying to 'catch-up' on some texts/theory at home.
Ideally... I'd manage to snag a PhD (w/ funding) at a Uni in London somehow and without having had to pay to do a Masters (which is expensive especially as a 'foreign student'). That would cover the next 3 -5 years.... after that...hmm.. well something will come up.
Or at least find some way of moving into a more theoretically interesting and thoughtful career. Income potential is not really that important. (ie Median wage would be adequate)