Do you think that silk dupioni is the best choice of fabric for my wedding dress when I am plus-sized? I have described it in detail inside.
I am getting married in October, and I'm looking for a 50s-style wedding dress with these requirements:
- knee- or tea-length full skirt to wear with a brightly-colored crinoline
- not strapless, not even strapless-with-a-bolero. Just no.
- a not-white color- gray is preferred.
- sized to fit a busty (US retail) 14-16
I really like this dress on Etsy
and, less so, this dress from Trashy Vintage
and this dress from Vivien of Holloway
All three dresses are in a shiny fabric of some kind. The Etsy seller uses silk dupioni, the Trashy Vintage dress is a shiny cotton satin, and the Vivien of Holloway dress is a shiny polyester satin.
However, I'm concerned about shiny fabric! I am a US size 14/16, and while the full skirt/decolletage will be flattering, I'm worried about the dress photographing well or accentuating my figure flaws. The wedding will be held in a music venue at night with some stage lighting. Bad cameras will abound, as they do. I'm concerned about the shiny fabric in these circumstances. Obviously, I want to feel confident in my dress and look as nice as possible.
My favorite dress by far is the Etsy dress, and the silk dupioni is almost certainly a better fabric than the polyester satin of the Vivien of Holloway dress. I've seen the latter online a lot (their dresses are very recognizable) and I don't think they photograph well at all. But is the quality difference enough to make it more flattering?
The Etsy dress has a better neckline and more structure to the bodice, so it's preferable. I can also pick any color I like, and I could possibly ask for a different type of fabric. However, I worry that I will choose a fabric that is unsuitable as I just don't know enough about them. I also worry it will be a hassle for the dressmaker.
- Do you think this is a reasonable concern? Does shiny fabric (of any type) accentuate figure flaws, even in this silhouette? Do you think the quality (the silk vs the poly satin) makes a difference?
- Do you think that color makes any difference? If I picked a silk dupioni in this charcoal
or this dove gray
, do you think the darker one would be more flattering?
- What kind of silk is more matte than dupioni, and could be made into a dress like this? If it's something that could be ordered from this vendor
, that would be helpful. A similar price point is preferred.
To be clear, I live in a small town in the Midwest and there are no luxury fabric stores nearby. I prefer to shop online because bridal stores are scary. I also prefer to work with an established Etsy seller rather than a local seamstress; I've had some bad luck with the latter.