Looking to start a simple home toolkit
December 29, 2012 5:00 PM Subscribe
Looking to buy a toolbox with essential tools
posted by Highest_Of_Fives to home & garden (23 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
I'm not a handy man, but often engage in simple around the house fixes. Most recently tightening a hex bolt for my shower head, installing a Dyson vac wall mount, shelves, and putting together a home theater stand.
I've purchased several 5$0 "tool kits" in plastic suit cases in the past and the quality of the tools was garbage. On top of that, fitment of tools into the suit case is hit or miss and they typically fall out when I open it. Annoying.
I want to start over and buy essentials piece by piece over time - hoping for quality over quantity.
My father recently gave me cordless Dewalt Drill, and a Black and Decker Rotary Tool w/ accessories. I'd like to build around that.
Here are my basic needs/questions:
1) I want a "tool box" (not a bag) thats large enough to hold the drills/charges/tools on the bottom. I was looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GSL6I8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
2) Need a way to store small accessories/bits/screws/anchors/etc.
3) While looking at screwdrivers, I ran into this kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MF754W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER which looks good (For the price). Does this look worthy?
4) The Dewalt that my father gave me does not have any bits. I was looking at this kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SL30RC/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00
5) What tools in your opinion are must haves? I'd prefer sets to have their own enclosures so that pieces do not get lost.
Any advice (and Amazon links) would be great!