What are the best toiletries/personal care products that double as other toiletries/personal care products? Either officially or unofficially?
So, I'm planning some travel that will involve both city breaks (where I will want to look good!) and hut-to-hut hiking (where I will want to keep my bag weight to a minimum). Obviously I can just buy mousse (or whatever) in the city, and I will probably end up doing that for some things. But I would also like to be as presentable as I can be on the trail without turning my pack into a giant makeup case like some 80s rom-com socialite.
Some things I've used in the past:
- Soap/shampoo bars for washing hair and body (with only moderate success)
- Combination shampoo/conditioner (have not found one that works for me)
Some things I've heard of but have not tried:
- Using sunscreen as hair conditioner
- Using hair conditioner as shaving cream
The things I consider essential anywhere* are sunscreen, hair-washing stuff, conditioner, soap/body wash, deodorant and toothpaste. If I'm at home or staying in one place for a while, that list can expand to include shaving stuff, hair "product" (usually mousse or gel, sometimes two or three different ones), face moisturizer, body/hand moisturizer, foot cream (obviously I can use the same product for all of these, but I don't at home), and makeup.
Bonus points for anything that doubles as emergency rations!
* OK, anywhere with running water - I can pare this down a little further if everyone's gross.