Hamlet the pig knight and his rusty twisted sword
December 4, 2012 11:24 AM Subscribe
I remember this illustrated children's book from the 1970's, a vaguely Arthurian fantasy with anthropomorphic pigs. I think the main character was named "Hamlet" and there were other pig themed puns. He had an Excaliber-like sword that was all rusty and bent up. Please help me find it again.
posted by wobh to Writing & Language (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Other, vaguely remembered details:
- color illustrations, cartoonish
- there was at least one sprawling chase/battle scene (possibly I am conflating one of many such scenes from Groo the Wanderer which I read much later and maybe one of Richard Scarry's books which I read at the time.)
- I figure I must have first encountered it somewhere between 1978 and 1982 but the book was likely somewhat older.
- I was pretty young when I first encountered it and it was somewhat above my reading level or something. Someone told me it wasn't very good.
- I don't recall reading it for myself, but I've never wholly forgotten it either.
This has been nagging me for a long time and it would be a relief to find it and see it with grown-up eyes.