How to get Win 7 to recognize a large HDD
November 27, 2012 11:49 AM Subscribe
How can I get Windows 7 64bit to recognize my 3 TB SATA hard drive? BIOS sees it, it works fine under Ubuntu, but it doesn't show up in Win 7's disk manager / storage tool.
posted by lord_yo to computers & internet (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Approaches so far:
- Updated BIOS
- Formatted disk as GPT under Ubuntu
--- first with two 1.5 TB partitions
--- later without any partitions (just GPT format)
- Rescanned / refreshed under disk manager
- The disk won't be used as boot disk (but as additional storage)
- Disk doesn't show up under Win 7 device manager
- BIOS shows disk, but with reduced size
- Ubuntu shows the disk as it should be.
Is there a third party driver I could use under Windows 7?
Am I missing something to get this HDD to work?