What goods+services will make my travel easier?
November 18, 2012 4:41 PM Subscribe
In the next few months I anticipate much U.S. domestic air travel for job interviews. What sorts of goods and services can I acquire (or put on my holiday wish list) that will make the traveling part of this process easier?
posted by grouse to Travel & Transportation (28 answers total) 28 users marked this as a favorite
Here's some of the things I already have am 100% satisfied with:
- Suitcase: Briggs and Riley Baseline 18" Carry-On Expandable
- Eagle Creek Pack-it folder (for nice shirts and trousers), cube (for other clothing), and toiletry bag
- spare toiletries so I can keep my bag packed at all times
- Little mesh bag for small pieces of electronics
- ThinkPad X220
- iPad 2 with Smart Cover
- Logitech presentation remote
- spare computer, phone, and iPad chargers
- Mendeley Pro
- Evernote Pro
- Expensify (free version)
- Applied for NEXUS membership which should hopefully get me access to TSA Pre Check
Thinks I am considering upgrading, changing or replacing:
- "Personal item" bag for laptop, iPad, and 3-1-1 liquids freedom baggie—my current backpack probably doesn't look so professional. I'm thinking of switching to a leather or ballistic nylon messenger bag. One that would be convertible to a backpack so as not to overly strain one shoulder would be best.
- Laptop case (or maybe the bag would have this integrated so it would be unnecessary, and could do it in a TSA-friendly manner)
- Monoprice external microUSB battery—works great 90% of the time; doesn't work at all the other 10%; charging both battery and phone simultaneously is unreliable
- Linear three-outlet power replicator—having a cubic one with outlets on three sides might be compatible with more wall warts. Or it might take up more space
- TripIt (free version)—doesn't seem like upgrading to pro is a big win?
- basic membership in frequent flyer programs—I am an AA member and I travel on Alaska and American most often but can't guarantee that I will always fly on them. Therefore $120 for an AA Gold Challenge doesn't seem that great. Nor does membership in the Admiral's Club ($500) or Board Room ($450) seem useful enough to overcome the cost
Any suggestions or thoughts on these? Think my reasoning above is faulty? Other things that would make my life easier/better? Buying somewhat pricy things that I can use for a long time is an easier sell than something expensive I will only get access to temporarily, or a credit card that will incur an annual fee after the first year (or require me to ding my credit by canceling it).