I'm starting to compile a list of songs, ideally written / performed by female musicians,* about being a (female) celebrity.
I'm focussed on relatively recent music, say post-1990, but suggestions of material before 1990 also welcome.
So far, I've got:
- Alanis Morrisette - Celebrity
- Pink - Stupid Girls
- Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me
[particularly video with image of "perfect female celebrity" stick figure on chalkboard at roughly 01:10-13]
- Marina and the Diamonds - Teen Idle
- Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna
- Britney Spears - Piece of Me
- Ashlee Simpson - Outta My Head (Ay Ya Ya
) [particularly the video with people with cameras as heads; she's strapped down with what looks like audio cable at one point]
- Paula Cole - Where Have all the Cowboys Gone?
[tangential, about yearning for the "celebrity" figures of Malboro Man, etc.]
- potentially various Dolly Parton songs about her own celebrity / good fortune, including Jesus and Gravity
[in which she attributes her success to, you guessed it, Jesus and gravity]
* Songs by male musicians on the same topic also welcome for alternative perspectives. I've got, e.g. Eef Barzelay's "Balad of Bitter Honey"
[Note: all links go to YouTube videos of songs.]
Thanks in advance!