I'm looking for a smart phone for cheap.
September 28, 2012 12:19 PM Subscribe
What is the best $99 smartphone currently available from Verizon?
posted by pdb to technology (19 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
For many reasons, I am begrudgingly, heel-draggingly, kicking-and-screamingly going to have to upgrade to a smartphone here in the next couple of weeks. My beloved dumbphone is on the verge of death, and not surprisingly, nobody makes good dumbphones any more and I can't justify spending $50-80 on a dumbphone inferior to the one I have now.
My wife has an iPhone 4s, and I thought I'd probably get one of those when the 5 came out, because at that point Apple would (and did) drop the price of the 4s to $99. Then the iOS6 map fiasco happened, and I thought to myself "wait a minute, self. You help improve software for a living. Why are you automatically going to buy something that isn't the best it can be right now?"
So I'm expanding my search, and now I'm open to finding the best $99 smartphone that Verizon currently sells. Here's my parameters:
1. I don't do social networking, nor do I want to, so Facebook/Twitter integration doesn't matter to me
2. I might end up using the phone as a secondary music player, so decent music playback (either native or by app) is important
3. A decent-to-good web browsing experience is important.
4. Availability of apps is nice, but I'm thinking both Android and Apple will have anything I'll need, app-wise, as I'm not a sophisticated/power smartphone user, nor do I want to become one
5. Mapping is something I'll probably use fairly heavily
6. $99 is a hard cap. So please, as well-intentioned as you might be, hold back the "but for $149 you could get so much more!" type coments - I don't want a smartphone in the first place, and because of that, I'm not spending more than $100 on one.
7. I'm a Verizon customer, as is my wife, and our contract isn't up for a year yet so I'm tied to Verizon offerings (which is fine by me).