How can I access my NAS remotely?
September 22, 2012 5:07 PM Subscribe
Does anyone know how to access a Synology (or other) NAS remotely -- esp. if they seem to be behind multiple routers in a big network?
posted by This_Will_Be_Good to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)
I recently got a Synology NAS to use as a server since my new laptop has a pretty small SSD. One of the features I was excited to use was the ability to access this remotely -- Synology has apps for streaming media to your phone from the NAS, setting up security cameras, etc.
However, I can not for the life of me figure this out.
I think the problem is that I am behind multiple routers. I recently set up in a small co-working space, and I'm not really certain what the network setup is (and nobody else seems to know either).
Here is what I know:
- I plug my wireless router into an ethernet jack in the wall. The NAS is attached to the router.
- The NAS has options to configure my specific TP-Link router for port forwarding and all that. I have also tried virtual servers for the ports, and all sorts of other options.
- I think the problem is due to the network setup. When I check my public IP address, it is different than my WAN IP address. I am assuming that means that there is another router between me and the net.
- When I did a traceroute in my Mac's Network Utility, it seems there may even be a few routers, as it went from mine, to a 10.1.X.X IP and then to a 10.10.X.X IP, and then didn't go anywhere.
- So, I am guessing port forwarding isn't going to work, since incoming connections would go through those other routers first -- however, I'm not very good at this networking stuff, so this is a lot of trial and errors and research.
If this port forwarding stuff isn't possible, are there other options? Would a VPN be an option?
One note: I use LogMeIn to remotely access my Mac, and I had no trouble making that connection. Are they doing something secret, or does that mean some version of a remote connection may be possible with the NAS/Router software I am using.