How do we go from design to manufactured product in China?
September 8, 2012 3:23 PM Subscribe
Guide us on getting our action figure idea from concept to manufactured product
My friend and I have come up with a cool and original concept for a line of action figures. We have the illustration chops to create artwork and concepts, 3d modeling skills and also the business acumen to actually plan and run it as a proper business.
What we do not have yet is a good understanding of product design with respect to action figures/toys etc., specifically on areas such as:
- types of plastics (and other materials) available
- construction methods for action figures (esp. articulation)
- getting prototypes constructed (we are planning to create the first few using a 3d printer, is this the best way?)
- finding suitable manufacturers in China
- getting proofs constructed by them
- monitoring the whole construction process and QC
Now, we do plan to hire a product design person or consultancy for this but before we get into it, it would be great for us to get a little educated as well so that we can know which end is what. Would be great if we can get some pointers to books, blogs, articles that outline the whole "getting your product made in China, when you are a small 2-person business" process. Even better would be getting first-hand accounts of people here who have gone form product concept to sales, using outsourced manufacturing in China