September 7, 2012 8:20 AM Subscribe
Anyone have recommendations on a hidden paradise to retire to in 10 years?
posted by anonymous to Travel & Transportation (28 answers total) 52 users marked this as a favorite
I'm in the midst of a divorce and realize that I soon I will be alone and able be to make decisions on where to retire, in ten years or so, without consulting a wife. After 16 years of marriage this is one glimmer of light in an otherwise depressing situation. I'd like to start planning my retirement location for periodic visits until I retire, learn the language if needed, and begin learning about the culture, history, and keep tabs on local events.
Here's my wishlist:
1. Near an ocean, preferably as close the ocean as possible. (Tropical or 4 seasons ok). I currently live in a high desert region.
2. Small, out of the way, and not a known retirement community (i.e. South Florida).
3. Able to exist with a moderate income. Not rich, not poor.
4. Can be anywhere in the world as long crime level is reasonable and the government is relatively stable. Though I'm not that much a fan of southeast Asia.
5. Adequate and available health care.
5. I basically plan on enjoying the ocean, reading, walking and enjoying the community.