Best Resources for a Trip Around the World
September 5, 2012 5:11 PM Subscribe
What are the best resources, websites, and blogs for someone who is planning a trip around the world?
I've gone through and read many different threads about long-term travel, or trips around the world here on MeFi.
What are your best resources for someone planning a trip like this?
1. Lodging as you travel: There are often posts from people who've done this, and they'll mention that they found a little place for $3/night on a gorgeous sandy beach in Thailand. How do you find these places?
In 2004, I spent two months backpacking around western Europe. I used HostelWorld exclusively, and again when I booked a place in Argentina in 2010. Are there other sites that would be good for this?
2. Cheap Flights/Trains/Busses: There is a lot of conflicting information about the so-called "Round the World" airfare, and I seem to be coming to the point of prefering to book each flight individually, and as I go. Apart from the Expedias of the world, what are the best resources for finding cheap flights in Asia, Africa, and South America?
What about for planning travel by bus/train in the same continents? Are there any useful planning sites, apart from the regional carriers themselves? Are there reviews of said carriers?
3. Travel Guides: The last time I did something like this, ebooks weren't a thing. Are there really good travel books in eBook form? Is Lonely Planet still considered among the best for this sort of thing?
4. Travel with Laptop vs. iPad: I have an iPad, and a laptop. Would travelling with an iPad make me a huge target for thieves (I feel like it will)? Would taking a small laptop (making it look pretty beat up) be better?
5. Blogs: Who are the best bloggers to read who've done something like this? There seems to be a large number of blogs out there, and they range from awful, to glossy, to informative... I'm looking for informative, with tips/hints, what pitfalls can be avoided, where to go, that sort of thing.