Smartphone Pay As You Go Plans in Canada
September 5, 2012 8:36 AM Subscribe
I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS in Ontario with Fido. With the new iPhone on the horizon, I'm considering buying the phone unlocked through Apple, and switching to a "Pay as You Go" service. I'm hoping the kind folks at Metafilter can help me choose the best plan.
posted by backwards guitar to shopping (7 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Some data to help in your answers:
* I rarely use my phone as an actual phone - my minutes are probably less than 150 per month, and the majority of those are incoming calls.
* I text a fair bit - but a lot of this is through Apple Messages. The majority of my texting is local, and certainly within Canada.
* I don't use a ton of data. I currently have a 6gb plan at Fido, and I'm probably only using 100mb/month or so of that at the most. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit of a cushion here though.
* I'd like a good strong network. The reception in my GTA located house is not great on the Rogers/Fido network, but I'm thinking a new phone would improve that enough that I have consistent reception in my basement. For a couple of weeks in the year I'm up in the Parry Sound region, so having data (3G or LTE) and phone reception in that area would be very useful. Right now, on Rogers, it's a bit shaky, but if I stand in the right spot I can usually get it.
* I've got voicemail and call display at the moment - I'd like to keep those.
Anyone happy with their current Pay as you go plan/provider in Canada? Are there any other things I should be considering? Companies I'm aware of: Wind, Chatr, Koodoo, Virgin - am I missing any others?