Help me replace my EDC flashlight!
September 1, 2012 1:54 PM Subscribe
Help! My ARC-AAA keychain flashlight has finally succumbed to corrosion and age. I need a new keychain-friendly flashlight, but I've stopped following the field. What are your suggestions, hivebrain?
posted by Kyol to shopping (12 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
My considerations are as follows:
1) It should be reasonably tough. My current one only failed due to corrosion on the negative contact but the LED never broke, the case has a lovely aged patina, the electronics are mostly OK. So that rules out Photons - I've probably broken 3 or 4 of those before I went to the ARC.
2) No freaky specialty batteries unless if it's a self-contained rechargeable. No N cells, no CR123s, none of that. AA or AAA is fine. I would even consider a 2x AA or AAA light. But considering that I'm replacing a 4" long by 1/2" diameter stick, I prefer convenient and always available over being able to light up a room. If I blind myself going "is this damn thing on?", well...
3) Clicky switches versus screw-down switches? I don't have much of an opinion. I know my ARC drove me up the wall when I had to fiddle around with it to get it to make solid contact with the battery, but I suspect tact switches are prone to failure in a pocket.
4) Modes and flashing and replaceable lenses are cute, but not exactly a dealmaker or breaker. Honestly, accessories will probably end up tucked away in the back of my workbench before the new flashlight smell finishes wearing off.
5) Price is.. Eh, it would have to be fantastic to be worth more than $50.
So, what's out there? What should I consider?