What are some cities/neighborhoods to live in that are bike commutable (<45 minutes) to 24th and Olympic (Santa Monica)?
August 21, 2012 8:52 AM Subscribe
What are some cities/neighborhoods to live in that are bike commutable (<45 minutes) to 24th and Olympic in Santa Monica? Are there any specific trails or routes I should be paying attention when hunting for housing? Any specific intersections to be avoided?
posted by minedev to Travel & Transportation around Los Angeles, CA (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I'll be returning to the Los Angeles area later this year, and having had Marina Del Rey -> [Santa Monica, Pasadena] and Pasadena -> [Pasadena, Torrance, El Segundo] commutes, I'm keenly aware and beginning to agonize over my get-to-work strategy. This time, I'm planning on letting work be my center of gravity, and allowing housing selection to come as a consequence.
Notes on constraints
- I currently bike commute, but in a lightly travelled (although plenty bike-hostile) town 7 miles one way with a short high grade hill at the end. This takes me 40 minutes up, and 30 down.
- The bulk of my current route is along a (poorly maintained, but lane-marked) bike route with the remainder being side streets, hence, I do not have very much experience with urban cycling, so this might be a reasonable chance for you to interject anything you've found broadly useful biking in LA as well.
- My bike is a hybrid and I will rarely exceed 18mph.
- I will be renting.
- Budget is a consideration, but not a hard limit.
- My arrival times are flexible.
Almost all of my westside experience involved stop and go'ing my way in my car along the arterials (Lincoln still figures prominently in my nightmares) so I'm hoping to draw on some practical experience for a less stressful reunion.