Air conditioner seeking to un-kick bucket
August 10, 2012 6:03 AM Subscribe
Air conditioner won't turn on. Before I shell out for a new one, is there any hope of saving/troubleshooting it?
posted by soma lkzx to home & garden (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
The Internet has taught me there's no reason to ever have a window unit repaired, but if I can troubleshoot it myself I'm game. Mitigating circumstance: it's a pretty big window unit sitting above the door in a storefront, so not exactly as simple as exchanging one in my apartment.
- When I push the power button, nothing happens. It doesn't beep, it doesn't sputter, it doesn't blow warm air, no lights come on, it just sits there.
- The electrical socket we're plugging it into *does* work. I plugged another AC unit into the same spot and it turns on fine. (Unfortunately this one won't fit in the window)
- It doesn't beep when you plug it in. The other unit beeps when you plug it in.
- Pushing the 'Reset' button on the plug doesn't do anything, which is how I'd expect this to be fixed.
- We inherited the unit, so assume it's kind of old. It's a Frigidaire.
I'm going to wear out my fingers pushing that 'Reset' button until we figure this thing out.