Help a Housing Newbie in NYC
August 5, 2012 5:58 PM Subscribe
How do I navigate looking for a room/roommate in NYC? Hope me, AskMe!
posted by anonymous to Home & Garden (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
So, I've found myself in a situation where I pretty much have to find a place in NYC by September 1. I was planning on moving out anyway (I work in NYC, live in nearby suburbia, and the commute was getting to be too much), but some recent events kind of hastened it. I've gotten in touch with various people/connections and am looking on Craigslist. But I have questions.
(For the record, this is strictly a situation where I'd live with a roommate. I can't afford to live on my own right now, and time isn't exactly on my side. Also, assume I know nothing about hunting for rooms, especially in NYC-- you'd be pretty much right.)
1. Are there any places to look besides Craigslist? Sometimes I'll look at ads, and I won't know if they're real, especially if they have phone numbers. How do I know?
2. What kinds of questions should I be asking when I look at places? I've kind of been going into it blindly, with absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I have yet to see whether or not this will work for me. But are there any must-ask questions?
3. How do I handle moving once I have found a place? I don't need any traditional movers, since I'm leaving my furniture behind, but I will have boxes of my stuff (books, clothes, etc.) that I just need to get from Suburbia to Place in NYC. Also, they'd need to get me there. Are there any legit people in NYC who would do this? That would be pretty much my only option, as I don't drive/have a car, nor do I know anyone who does who'd be willing to do that.
4. This is all so overwhelming and stressful. I also have an ambivalent relationship with change, so this is making me especially anxious. I'm seeing a therapist, but how do I stay sane during this trying time?
5. Would I really be able to find a place by 9/1, realistically?
That pretty much covers it. Thanks so much in advance!