Subtitled TED talks for my language students

I'm trying to find standalone copies of TED talks with English subtitles. I will be teaching in a room without an internet connection to Chinese faculty who have good vocabularies but are working on their delivery.

I've tried the metalinks at and the downloaded videos don't show subtitles in either Quicktime player and VNC. I'm using an older Macbook with 10.6.8.

I can't access youtube or the internet in the classrooms. Oh, and if anyone knows of a good working VPN that would be helpful too.

Thanks Metafilterians. I have other content to use but the videos would be nice. Oh, and if my responses are sporadic it is because I am on Beijing time.
posted by mecran01 to Education (5 answers total)
Which ones?
posted by Brent Parker at 12:40 PM on July 20, 2012

Most of the talks I'm interested in have to do with scientific breakthroughs or human behavior, and usually are mildly controversial so they'll hopefully spur discussion. I can put up a list if that helps. I also have a remote server where stuff can be uploaded.
posted by mecran01 at 12:42 PM on July 20, 2012

It looks like you have to be a licensee to download the .srt files.
posted by mecran01 at 1:03 PM on July 20, 2012

Ok, I've been trying to do everything the hard way, and en masse. Videos can be downloaded individually using the instructions here:

But hey, asking the question helped me find the answer and maybe somebody else will come across this in the future.
posted by mecran01 at 1:07 PM on July 20, 2012

« Older In the Red Corner, we have PCO...   |  Over the past 6 months I've be... Newer »