Help: NYC apartment search
June 29, 2012 3:31 AM Subscribe
Help me move to NYC Part 1: Finding an apartment (Brooklyn? Jersey City?)
posted by pseudonick to Work & Money (41 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I am moving to NYC with my girlfriend, my salary the first year is going to be ~65k but I expect to have ~15k coming in from a second position. My girlfriend will be looking for work but probably won't have a job when we get there.
My job is at the federal building on Houston and Varick at the very south end of the West Village. Subway line 1 has a stop right next to my building.
My dream is a nice 1 bedroom + office (or 2 BR) apartment which allows cats and with not unreasonable parking for 1 car. Apartment budget ~1625 (65k/40), though I think we could reasonably go up to 2000. I can demonstrate reasonable assets and could probably find a cosigner if needed. It seems like Manhattan is going to be well out of our price range if we want something other than a tiny studio (and of course no car).
We are pretty laid back and introverted people but we hope to get out into the city some and enjoy living in NYC (or Jersey as the case may be).
Ideas so far:
1. Bay Ridge Brooklyn
- Commute via the R train to South Ferry and the 1 train to work. (35-40 min)
2. Crown Heights / Bedford Stuyvesant Brooklyn
- Apartments are cheaper than Bay Ridge or Jersey City.
- Commute via A or C train to Spring St. or Wash. Sq. (30-40 min?)
3. Jersey City
- Apartments near the PATH stations seem pricier than Brooklyn.
- Commute in on the PATH to Christopher (30 min?)
All the commute times look pretty similar based on me eyeballing transit schedules. I'm sort of at a loss here. I'll start work some time in September, though the start date is flexible. We plan on flying out for a few days to find an apartment before moving. We were planning on looking for an apartment through a broker knowing it will cost more, but hoping the convenience will make it worthwhile.
Questions for you wonderful mefites:
- How far in advance of the move should we visit, would 3 days be enough time to scout some apartments and rent one?
- Any recommendations on a good apartment broker or other source of apartments?
- Do any of my assumptions above look foolish?
- Any thoughts at all re: Bay Ridge/Bed-Stuy/Jersey City.
- Where and what else should I be considering?