Ye Olde Commute
May 12, 2012 4:56 PM Subscribe
Getting from San Francisco to Mountain View every weekday over the summer, but don't currently own a car. How should I do it?
posted by 3491again to travel & transportation around Mountain View, CA (12 answers total)
I'll be commuting from San Francisco to Mountain View five days a week for about two and a half months, starting in June. I don't currently own a car. I'm wondering how to most economically accomplish this. Some details:
- Renting a car seems to cost about $2000 for the summer. That's a lot!
- Buying a beater and then selling it seems to be a lot of work, but maybe it's the most cost-effective.
- No friends that I know of that will let me borrow their cars, but I could ask more widely. (Anyone on Metafilter wanna sell a car, or just lease it to me for the summer? I have a great driving record! I'm super responsible!)
- Zipcar would be really expensive because I would leave the car around all day during the day.
- Public transportation (Caltrain) is very time-consuming and not super cheap, either. I'm near a BART station, but Caltrain is a long walk through a not very nice neighborhood. With lots of hills.
- Crashing in Mountain View is possible, but I'd miss my boyfriend, who is in San Francisco. Also, would probably cost money.
- I found this service for private buses with wifi (http://www.bauerswi-drive.org), but they don't seem to go from San Francisco to Mountain View. Anyone know of something like that?
- I'd be happy to carpool with random people from Zimride or Ridejoy or something. What sites do this best?
- Anything I'm missing here? Other suggestions?
(If public transportation is the best option, then any suggestions you have for making it more palatable would be much appreciated!)
Thank you, Metafilter!