Join 3,561 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Car seat for a Mini convertible?
May 10, 2012 8:21 PM   Subscribe

My husband loves his 2007 Mini Cooper S convertible, but also loves his 3 year old, 38" tall, 30 lb daughter. We're hoping to bring the two things together with the perfect car seat. It needs to be easy to get into for the kid, harness (as opposed to seat belt) preferred. Have any actual real-life Mini owners made this work?
posted by nkknkk to Travel & Transportation (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Not on the market until the summer, but I'd check out the Clek foonf. Clek builds amazing-quality car seats (they used to be owned by Magna and got some high-quality automotive tooling from them, so their seats have things like solid machined pieces of magnesium in them). Looks relatively compact (therefore good for a Mini), and has a harness, not seatbelt.
posted by Dasein at 8:38 PM on May 10, 2012 [1 favorite]

Check the forums on car-seat.org. With a quick search, I saw several threads discussing the Mini Cooper.
posted by chiababe at 9:06 PM on May 10, 2012 [1 favorite]

Oh my, I love everything about the Clek! But I do NOT love $425+, especially since it only goes to 40lbs or so. A shame, really. Still looking...
posted by nkknkk at 8:09 PM on May 11, 2012

I do NOT love $425

From what I hear from people who know, Clek seats are expensive because they cost the Clek more to manufacture than other seats sell for at retail. They want to make the same margins as other companies, so the seats are priced accordingly. It's a case of quality costs. But, yes, maybe it costs too much.
posted by Dasein at 9:56 PM on May 12, 2012

« Older Where can I get an adjustable ...   |  Tunefilter: I'm trying to trac... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.