Where can I find a cheap psychiatrist in Los Angeles?

[Los Angeles filter] I don't have insurance. How can I find a psychiatrist who will continue my current prescription for cheap?

I'm on an anti-depressant but my last psychiatrist costs $300 per evaluation. The medicine is working fine and I just want to continue it, but I've run out of refills and he's requiring another session. I don't have health insurance so this would be out-of-pocket.

Is there some place I can go to get a cheap renewal? I buy my medicine online to save money, so that's not a problem, it's just finding a psychiatrist that isn't hundreds of dollars.

I'm in Los Angeles and will travel anywhere in the city for a cheaper option. Thanks for your help.
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

A regular medical doctor (e.g., an internist, general practitioner) should be able to fill that. Maybe try visiting a free clinic and explaining the situation to the doctor you see?
posted by clockzero at 9:33 AM on May 1, 2012 [1 favorite]

I don't know where you are in the city geographically, but the Venice Family Clinic is my go-to recommendation for this sort of thing. It is fantastic.
posted by The World Famous at 9:47 AM on May 1, 2012

Oops - I hit "post" too soon. The Venice Family Clinic has eight locations in Venice, Santa Monica, Mar Vista, and Culver City. It is the largest free clinic in the U.S., and all services are provided free of charge, including diagnosis, treatment, medications, follow-up care, and laboratory tests.
posted by The World Famous at 9:51 AM on May 1, 2012

« Older I am looking for any informati...   |  I need a cat sitter recommenda... Newer »