Should I wait until my tooth infection clears before getting them extracted?
April 21, 2012 3:13 PM Subscribe
My two right wisdom teeth are infected and abscessed. I'm on 500mg of Amoxicillin three times a day. Should I wait until the infection clears before getting them extracted?
Sorry for the grossness in advance! On Thursday, I woke up with an intense pain in my throat, and incredibly swollen glands. I went to an urgent care, and the PA who saw me said that it looked like I have a dental infection, and prescribed me Amoxicillin (500mg 3/day). I was in a pretty bad car accident a few months ago that I'm still recovering from, so I'm already on Norco. The next day, after taking the antibiotics, my neck felt a million times better, and that afternoon my right wisdom teeth both ruptured and began to drain. That night was pretty awful until I figured out to elevate my head for the draining, but once I fell asleep, I feel relatively fine this morning, apart from the general weakness from being on the antibiotics. I've scheduled a dental appointment for April 30, when I'm supposed to be done with the Amoxicillin. Do I need to go sooner, or should that be fine? IKYANMD, but I've never had a tooth infection of any kind before - I broke one once, and had a bridge put in - and since I haven't actually seen a dentist yet, only a PA at the urgent care, I just wanted some reassurance that this is generally the way things should be going.