Anonymous SMS to Twitter

I want to create a number to send text messages (SMS) which will then post all the messages onto a Twitter feed...

The utility has to do with the North of Mali, creating a space for the non-internet but mobile equipped citizens to send and post text messages.

It seems Twitter requires the number of the sender to be linked to an account. I want anonymous texting ability from anyone, without needing to subscribe. I can set up a Google Voice number, but how do I set the messages to post directly to Twitter? Any quick and painless ways to set this up?
posted by iamck to Technology (3 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I'm not sure if you can use ifttt with a Google Voice number but it would be the simplest way to do that sort of thing.
posted by jessamyn at 7:09 PM on April 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

You can configure Google voice to email you when you copies of incoming SMS messages. Then you can configure ifttt with email as the trigger and Twitter as the action.
posted by scottreynen at 7:56 PM on April 18, 2012

Awesome. Thanks for the ideas, I'll give it a shot.
posted by iamck at 8:11 PM on April 18, 2012

« Older Today I learned the average vo...   |  Take a look at my flight plan,... Newer »