Help me become vegan!
April 1, 2012 11:55 AM Subscribe
Help me become vegan!
posted by DorothySmith to food & drink (40 answers total) 22 users marked this as a favorite
I'm a painfully picky eater and I'd like to become vegan. I've been an animal activist (anti-fur, anti-circus, anti-animals in entertainment, anti-animal testing for cosmetics etc.) since I was 13 and am now 26. I've always used the explanation that I'm a painfully picky eater as the reason why I still eat meat/animal products. This actually true though and sometimes the prospect of trying new foods makes me have panic attacks b/c new foods TERRIFY me. I've decided to try to get over this and have been trying to cook new foods. So far, I've started making bean/lentil/pea type soups with no-chicken broth and I've also learned to make vegan miso soup (I've been careful not to buy the kinds with bonito/fish extract). I've also been eating vegan pastas (with fake ground round) and fake chicken nuggets.
I have several questions and would appreciate answers to all of them or a few of them!
1. Is it best to transition to vegetarian prior to transitioning to vegan? More or less, do you think it's too difficult to switch all at once... or... ?
2. I like to work out and stay fit and I have two protein shakes per day (one when I wake up and one before bed) to keep my metabolism high. I used to drink Isoflex (has whey) as a meal replacement with some nuts/veggies and a few months ago I switched to bodybyvi b/c it has more nutrients and vitamins. It also has whey protein. I haven't found a good vegan replacement for this and was wondering if anyone knows of any. Ideally, this protein shake would have 12-20g of protein and next to zero carbs or fats (I like to eat my fats and carbs separately through vegetables, fruits and nuts).
3. Does anyone know of any good and EASY meals to make? Typically, when I was cooking meat, I'd throw a slab of salmon/chicken on a cooking sheet, come back in a half hour and eat vegetables with it. I don't like sauces or spicy food (I told you, painfully picky). I eat most things very plain, which is easier to do with meat than it is with tofu. When I cook stir fries I usually just use olive oil. I'm not opposed to sauces like terriyaki sauce.
4. I love cheese and yogurt. Does anyone know of a good non-animal product version of these? All the cheeses I've found have casin (I think that's how it's spelled) which I know is an animal product.
5. Does anyone know of good websites where I could order some of these products that I can't find in the grocery stores?
6. I've wondered about leather in the past, I have friends that are vegan/vegetarian who won't buy leather and then I have environmental friends who say that the synthetic products don't decompose back into the earth leaving a lot of waste behind. Where do you stand on this?