Please recommend funny, charming, gentle movies and TV shows.
As a follow-up to the question I asked a couple of years ago about smart Britcoms
, I'm looking for more intelligent and funny TV and movies to watch.
In that thread, two people recommended stuff by Alan Plater, which I have now seen and thoroughly enjoyed. As I mentioned there, I also like Tom Stoppard and things like As Time Goes By.
So, slightly different preferences this time around:
* looking for charming and gentle - avoiding excessive snark or cringy humor, as well as gory murder mysteries
* looking for really high quality - great writing, great acting, great directing
* all countries welcome - US, UK, Canada, Australia; foreign language stuff is okay too
* doesn't HAVE to be funny but definitely prefer at least some comedy in my dramedy
* looking for both movies and TV, not just TV
* strong preference for stuff that's available in the US on DVD, although if you know of something amazing that's not available, I'd still love to hear about it for my "maybe someday" list
I have seen all of Northern Exposure, Slings and Arrows, the Beiderbecke Chronicles (and Oliver's Travels), As Time Goes By, Good Neighbors, and the West Wing (which I utterly loved, but is slightly more serious than I'm looking for here).
Also, I've just seen the pilot episode of Community and i really enjoyed that.