Suddenly, all the sheets were pink.
January 8, 2012 7:30 AM Subscribe
How to do laundry when you start buying clothes at more than 5 bucks?
posted by Tarumba to home & garden (21 answers total) 50 users marked this as a favorite
We usually just separate the clothes into two or three piles (any color, any situation) and dump them in the washing machine with a bunch of detergent. Then dump them in the dryer with one of those flowery sheets. we never iron, add softener, starch (I know about starch because of my mom) or do anything other than these two very simple steps.
The new situation:
- We started buying *nice* clothes that we would like to keep for a while, and that also seem to be more high maintenance, like shirts with stiff collars, nice wools and cottons, nice jeans, etc.
-Among our new nice clothes, there suddenly are a lot of business shirts. They have really hard collars and come with two little metal/plastic sticks inserted in them. I have no idea how we should use those or if we should take them out to wash, etc.
- We have a lot of black clothes, and they end up purple, unless the dye is great quality and they keep black forever.
- We don't know what to iron, when and how.
- We don't know about water temperatures, color grouping, washing delicates, or anything.
- We would like to use as little detergent/products as possible, but want the clothes to keep and look well.
We went to the supermarket, and got some stuff. This is what we have now (I know I said I would like to use as few products as possible, but bought these things for emergencies or special situations...and because I got excited with the variety of products)
A washer and a dryer, separate
non bleached detergent
Starch spray product
A very weird looking gel for stains (oxy clean)
detergent for black clothes
Should we ditch/buy anything?
do we really need to use a dryer or fabric softener?
How do you do laundry?