December 20, 2011 5:38 AM Subscribe
Last week we found out that my mother has breast cancer. This isn't her first battle against cancer as she had colon cancer six years ago, and so far mom is being very matter of fact and strong. She is going in for surgery to remove it tomorrow and then will start the whole radiation/chemo regiment in the new year. Any good last minute, easy to find, supplimentary gift ideas for her?
posted by gwenlister to Shopping (19 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I already got her:
- an amazon gift card (she reads endlessly on her Kindle)
- six months of Netflix (to watch while she convalesces)
- a fantastic old-timey honky bike horn (to honk when she needs someone to come help her or get her a cup of tea, rather than a little delicate bell).
I'm looking for small-ish things, nothing over 15$, that I can add in to these items to make a fun group of gifts that she will enjoy while she goes through this process. Mostly things that will provide distraction/amusement/etc for her.
- she is a (retired) physican, as is my father, so she already knows all about cancer and the kinds of things she is facing, so I'm not looking for books about breast cancer or anything like that
- my parents live twenty minutes from the nearest TOWN (and it is tiny) and a little over an hour from the nearest CITY (and it still isn't
- I don't want anything too schmaltzy or touchy feely, we aren't that kind of family. We cope with humour.
- She was supposed to have her knee(s) replaced early this coming January but of course now that has been put off, but it is still on the horizon, so gifts can relate to that as well.