December 5, 2011 8:07 PM Subscribe
Has Anyone Successfully Survived Living with a Best Friend?
posted by easilyconfused to home & garden (20 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
If you have roommated your best friend, and managed to make your friendship intact, you are the right person to help!
I would be grateful with very detailed answers. :)
Despite the conventional wisdom, "never live with your best friend"
- What specifically did you do to make such a living arrangement work,? (aside from establishing boundaries from the beginning and try hard to respect it, and honestly communicate feelings regularly, what else?)
- How would you describe your personalities/dynamic as friends?
- How long were you friends together before moved in? When conflict arose, what did you do to resolve it?
- How much/how well did you know your friend before you moved in? What was the biggest surprise after you started living together?
- At what stage of life were you then (students or young professionals)? - Were pets and significant others involved? (in other words, were pets or SOs ever in the way?) If so, what rules did you set up?
- How long did you guys live together?
- What were the reasons that you separated ways in the end?
- Any other insights you'd like to add.
(If you have no success stories, but you think you now might know how you probably should have handled the situation back then, feel free to speak up as well)