I am applying for my school’s undergraduate honours political science program next semester. The application requires a description of specific interests in and outside of the field, including readings. What should I read that will appeal to my interests and impress the admissions folk?
I think I am looking for titles that are either significant/important works in the field on the following topics, or that deal with any combination or intersection of the following in an interesting way:
– Women’s and gender studies or sexuality (e.g. queer theory)
– Law, (feminist or critical race) legal theory, restorative justice
– Democratic institutions (electoral systems, justice system)
– Political science and government (Canadian)
– Political theory/philosophy
I loved The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde
by Merlin Holland, for example, because it was a complete and engaging court case transcript with an equally engaging introduction that situated the text in issues of sexuality, and the application and interpretation of a specific law.