Birds of peace? Not always.

I work at an animal shelter and someone gave us white doves. There's a mom, dad, and son. Originally the son was very young and his feathers weren't grown in, so we kept them together. Now he is a young adult and both he & his dad are doing the "bow & coo" aggressive stance at each other. Should I separate him from his parents? I know doves shouldn't be alone, but they are getting territorial at this point, so what should we do?
posted by ktoad to Pets & Animals (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Forget separating the males. You should separate the female from the males asap unless you want more doves.
posted by fshgrl at 1:56 PM on November 22, 2011 [2 favorites]

We're monitoring the cage for eggs so more offspring won't be a problem. She has bonded with her original mate so I'm told it's best to keep them together. I was mainly wondering how to handle the son situation.
posted by ktoad at 4:11 PM on November 22, 2011

Can you keep them in cages next to each other? That way they're not alone, but since they're not in the same cage, they can't fight.
posted by loriginedumonde at 5:36 PM on November 22, 2011 [1 favorite]

Why not? Seems like the best option so far.
posted by ktoad at 5:21 AM on November 23, 2011

« Older I have to fly out to Long Isla...   |  Is my boss a jerk / being over... Newer »