Do hands-free headsets help reduce accident rates?

Lazyweb: Have there been any studies of traffic accident rates after passage of the hands-free laws in so many municipalities in the USA?

If I were to guess I'd imagine there was no change or more accidents as people fiddle with devices instead of just picking up a phone. But if you've found any non-guess answers, that's really what I'm looking for.
posted by mzurer to Law & Government (3 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Evaluating the impact of legislation prohibiting hand-held cell
phone use while driving
. [full text pdf]
posted by jedicus at 4:01 PM on November 16, 2011

Did California's hand-held cell phone ban reduce accidents?. [full text pdf]
posted by jedicus at 4:20 PM on November 16, 2011

Long-Term Effects of Handheld Cell Phone Laws on Driver Handheld Cell Phone Use. (abstract only, unless you have access to the journal)

And the oh-so-cleverly titled Døes banning hand-held cell phøne use while driving reduce cøllisiøns?. (no abstract but you can see the first page for free)
posted by jedicus at 4:24 PM on November 16, 2011

« Older What is this confounding pain ...   |  Is there a way to fix this inf... Newer »