Help me make my apartment not smell bad
November 3, 2011 5:16 AM Subscribe
I clean my apartment (and myself) on the regular. So why does it smell like dirty laundry all the time? How do I make it stop?
posted by schroedinger to Home & Garden (39 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite
Since winter came and I've kept the windows to my apartment closed, it has taken on a pretty bad smell. Not mold, not cat box, more like the smell of someone who's been holed up in their room with a bunch of dirty laundry. Which I haven't been, I swear!
The smell seems concentrated in the living room at the entrance to the apartment. Curiously, it gets better as one approaches my bedroom and kitchen, which would most likely be the locations of any possible offending cat box or dirty laundry odors.
- Wooden floor throughout apartment, with the exception of one area rug in the living room
- Cat box is cleaned 1-2x daily (and smell is not of cat box)
- Laundry is done at least 1x weekly and not kept in living room
- Vaccuming and mopping done regularly
- I shower and use appropriate grooming products so I'm pretty sure it's not me
Aside from air fresheners or keeping the window open most of the day, is there anything I can do to improve this?