Please stop my cough!
October 30, 2011 7:03 PM Subscribe
Please help me kill this cough....
posted by anastasiav to health & fitness (39 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite
On Friday, I went to the doctor after a few days of cough and fever and was diagnosed with bronchitis. I was given a prescription for a 5-day course of zithromax (I've taken 3 of the 5 doses) and 12 100 mg capsules of benzonate for the cough.
The benzonate does nothing for the cough. Zero. I called back the office today hoping they would call in a 'script for a codeine cough syrup, but they refused. (I had a 'script for some back in August - perhaps they think I'm drug seeking?)
The cough is a nightmare. Coughing until I throw up. A deep hacking (productive) cough that racks my whole body. I can't sleep. I can't lie down. I haven't had more than 3 hours sleep at any one time in days and days and I just can't take it any more. I feel quite a bit better since I started the antibiotic, but the cough refuses to get any better at all.
Things I've tried:
- 100 & 200 mg doses of the benzonate. (Does absolutely nothing.)
- Mucinex, both on its own and combined with the benzonate.
- Robitussin DMmax, both on its own and combined with the mucinex and the benzonate.
- Hot tea with and without lemon and honey
- Hot showers (works for about 15-20 minutes)
- Vicks vap-o-rub, combined with any/all of the above.
- Hot rum in the tea (works the best of anything so far, but not perfect, and doesn't allow me to get anything done)
- NyQuil (worked the first night and hasn't worked since)
- Hot vapor steamer in my bedroom combined with lots of the above.
I'm getting to the point where I'm kind of afraid I'm going to poison myself by combining so many things (say, Robitussin, benzonate, and rum).
Suggestions? Is there anything OTC that I can try??