What websites give practical explanations of moog terminology and usage?

Looking for the best websites and books that explain the theory and practice of synthesizer use, particularly the use of a Moog.

I bought the AniMoog app and it is quite neat, but I don't understand all the buttons and screens and terminology.

I have a very rudimentary grasp of musical theory and have no intention of inflicting the sounds I create on anyone. I understand that any practical information on the websites will not match with the little toy moog app, but the overarching ideas should be the same.

I tried googling for information, but I didn't even know what terms to use or what good resources look like. I also tried looking for previous questions, but it seems like my question is more elementary than the others.
posted by winna to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

AniMoog is different from most synthesizers, that is what makes it so interesting. It is a strange hybrid of a minimoog and a Korg Wavestation. For best results, use the manual.

The go-to series for synth programming, though, is SoundOnSound's excellent Synth Secrets series.
posted by b1tr0t at 8:24 PM on October 24, 2011 [3 favorites]

Thanks b1tr0t! I know so little that I didn't even understand that distinction about the AniMoog. I basically bought the app on a whim because it looked like a fun toy. I had read the manual, but since I know so little about even the basic principles I got more confused.

Now to settle down to read all of those articles in the link!
posted by winna at 8:46 PM on October 24, 2011

The AniMoog is every bit as awesome as you think. Seriously awesome. Read up on the Synth Secrets, but take it slow. You will learn a lot and have a great time.

And if you really want to nerd out, get a copy of PureData the free modular synthesis environment.
posted by b1tr0t at 9:31 PM on October 24, 2011

Just stumbled across this Animoog Tutorial on Youtube.
posted by backwards guitar at 6:26 AM on October 26, 2011

« Older What relatively current consol...   |  Can I see the Aurora Borealis ... Newer »