Costumes for People Who Don't Need Fat Suits
October 18, 2011 10:14 AM Subscribe
Another dreaded Halloween Costume thread. This one is for the plus-sized gals.
posted by jacquilynne to sports, hobbies, & recreation (29 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite
I'm looking for costume ideas that fit as many of these points as possible (I realize few costumes will hit all of them):
- inherently suited to plus-sized girls rather than just size-neutral. Good examples of this include Brunhilde or Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds. Bad examples would be tavern wench -- yeah, plus-sized girls can rock a tavern wench costume, but so can skinny girls.
- size positive or neutral, rather than shaming. Fat Bastard and other 'fat people are gross' ideas are out. It's fine if someone is evil AND fat (like Ursula from Little Mermaid) but the fat shouldn't be the focus of their personality flaw.
- fairly widely recognizable. Pop culture references are good, really obscure pop-culture references not so much. The more 'costumey' the costume is, the less this matters. So Melissa McCarthy's character in Bridesmaids might be okay, where Melissa McCarthy's character in Mike & Molly would be too normal to even be seen as being a costume. On the other side of things, going as Nanny Ogg is going to be costumey enough that even if the person doesn't know you're Nanny Ogg, they'll at least know you're in costume.
- literary or smart
- sexy (but not in a generic 'sexy cop' / 'sexy nurse' sort of way, more that the character being portrayed is innately sexy)
- not entirely of-the-moment. TV characters from long-running shows, fine, classic archetypes and literary characters, even better, real-life people from news stories of the year, not so great.