Polarity unclarity

How to I tackle replacing (rear) car speakers when there's a special connector?

The rear speakers on my car blew out. Took the bass too low. Ah well. So I bought new ones, and I am taking the old ones out:

Original rear speaker

It looks like I need to clip off the white connector from the original speaker, and solder it to the new speakers. The white connector plugs into a special audio wire from the car electronics.

My question is, simply: Which side of the connector goes to which connection on the speaker?

There are no markings on or around the connector port to mark which is which. Should I just follow the orientation of the wiring on the original speaker?
posted by Blazecock Pileon to Technology (4 answers total)

There are adapters available to plug into most factory wires and then to your new speakers - I can't see your pic at work, but check on cruthcfield.com, sonicelectronix.com, etc, etc - ebay usually has them for a few bucks each.
posted by pupdog at 12:28 PM on October 5, 2011

It may be easier to clip the connector off of the factory wire, strip and crimp on proper new speaker connector spades.
posted by ijoyner at 1:10 PM on October 5, 2011

Thanks, exogenous. Worked like a charm.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 1:50 PM on October 5, 2011

« Older I'm in the process of intervie...   |  I'm looking for possibilities ... Newer »