My annoying coworker is turning me into a rageaholic
September 28, 2011 6:28 PM Subscribe
How can I stay calm and productive when I have the most annoying coworker in the world?
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (15 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I used to be a calm, easygoing person. I have a great job, but I am completely miserable at work due to working in close proximity with someone who is very hard to ignore.
I work in cubicle land at a telecom company and my coworker "Cecilia" is on the other side of a divider from me. She is on the same team as me and she is about 15 years older than I am. Here are some of the things she does that are annoying:
1. She has a habit of sniffing up buckets of snot every 2 minutes or so (not exaggerating.) She doesn't take kleenex when people offer it to her. It's a very loud horking sound. The problem is that she's just very loud in general. She makes very loud eating sounds, loud slurping of soup, smacking lips, eating with mouth open. She eats all through the day.
2. She makes about 10 phonecalls a day to her boyfriend and has very loud conversations, basically ordering him around at length and giving him updates. "How is your morning? Yeah. I just got out of a meeting." Her phonecalls are much louder than anyone else's and it's like she wants people to overhear.
3. She regularly makes outbursts of laughter to herself. I think she must be reading something funny on the internet.
4. She is frequently late and leaves early. I know this shouldn't be any of my business but it bothers me.
5. She frequently interrupts people at our team meetings and tells me how to do my job when she is not my boss.
She told me once in an offhand way that she has Aspergers, I thought it was a joke at the time but now I think it wasn't.
Anyway, it's got to the point where all of these noises are driving me insane. I used to work really hard, now I spend most of the day in a rage, not being very productive. It bothers other people around in the area, and they will roll their eyes at me, but no one ever does anything about it.
My boss seems to greatly value Cecilia and relies on her quite a bit. My boss's office is on another floor and I don't think she is aware of the extent of the problem.
How would you deal with this situation? I haven't spoken to Cecilia directly about this, as I find it very hard to communicate with her. I would rather go to her instead of my boss, though.
This has been going on for months and months - I have been dealing with it mostly by ignoring her and wearing headphones, but it's got to the point where I am living with a lot of suppressed rage and I think it's starting to affect my physical and mental health. How can I let it all go and not let these things bother me?
I have read other questions about annoying coworkers, and I am currently wearing my noise-cancelling headphones nearly all the time (I love them, they are great.)
Thank you for any advice, I am desperate.