Two Licenses, One Cup
September 28, 2011 1:21 PM Subscribe
My husband, having lived in 4 states in 4 years, is trying to get a New York State driver's license. Only problem is that apparently two
out of state licenses are still active, and the DMV refuses to give him a license.
posted by PhoBWanKenobi to Law & Government (11 answers total)
Asking for the mister, who is beyond frustrated by this.
My husband and I recently moved to New York State from Virginia. We lived in Virginia only one year--before that, we lived in Florida for one year, and he lived in NJ a year before that.
When he moved to Florida, he got a Florida driver's license from the DMV. They hole-punched his old NJ license, and he destroyed it when he got home, assuming it had been canceled. He's kept his Florida license since, and has a clean driving record on it.
We moved to New York State a few months ago and are planning to stay. My husband also recently bought a shiny new motorcycle, so he's extra eager to get a NYS license so that he can get a motorcycle learner's permit. But when he went to the DMV, he was told that his New Jersey license is still active, and that they won't license him because he has two state NDR records.
They told him to get his driving records from first Florida, then New Jersey (necessitating two DMV trips), proving that both records are in good standing and that his New Jersey license has been canceled. Though he was told on the phone by the NJ MVC that his New Jersey license has been canceled, his driving record arrived today and the paperwork shows that his license there is valid and in "good standing." It expires in March 2012. His Florida license is also in good standing, and expires in 2017.
We can't find any information on the NJ MVC website about surrendering or canceling this older license (which he doesn't have, anyway), and apparently New York State cannot cancel both licenses and give him a NYS license. He would prefer not to wait until March to get his New York license, especially with a beautiful new Suzuki waiting. Any advice on what he can do, or someone he can contact to get this resolved?