Help me plan my drive from Oakland, CA to Clinton, IA. Complication: cat.
In October, I'll be driving from Oakland, CA to Clinton, IA in my Toyota Camry. I'll be doing it by myself - with my cat. This is the quickest route according to Google
Ideally, I'd like to keep my driving to around 8 hours a day. By my calculations, that would mean something like:
Oakland to Elko, NV;
Elko, NV to Rawlins, WY;
Rawlins, WY to Grand Island (or Lincoln) NE;
and finally to Clinton, IA.
Complication: I'll be wanting to stay in motels along the way, and I will have my cat, so I would need to stay in places that are cat-friendly. I also have points to use with Marriott Fairfield, and as far as I can tell, none of the places in the aforementioned route have cat-friendly Fairfield Inns. I could change my route to hit major cities and do something like an Oakland to Salt Lake City (which would push me into 13 hour territory) to Denver to Omaha to Clinton, in which case I would be more likely to be able to use my Marriott points. It isn't critical
that I use the points, but it would mean free stays as opposed to paying for motels, so it'd be a major bonus if I could work that somehow.
This is the database I'm looking at to find pet-friendly Marriott Fairfield Inns
. I really don't know if it is accurate or comprehensive.
1) Bearing all this in mind, do you have a route recommendation?
2) Do you know anything about cat-friendly motels, and specifically cat-friendly Fairfield Inns anywhere (even tangentially) along the way?
3) If there are Fairfield Inns on the way that are not ostensibly cat-friendly, how sketchy is it to sneak my cat in? (He can be pretty vocal in unfamiliar territory).
4) Any must-see things along the way that wouldn't require much time, as I don't want to leave kitty in the car?
5) Any other general suggestions regarding this car trip?