Welcome to Washington DC! Here is an awesome gift!
August 10, 2011 6:11 PM Subscribe
What should I put in a "Welcome to DC" gift basket for my fiancé?
posted by charmcityblues to Shopping (18 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
My fiancé is unexpectedly-- and not necessarily enthusiastically-- moving to DC from Alaska for a year (the plan was for me to return to Alaska after a summer of employment in DC, but things changed). He loves the informal and fiercely independent culture of Alaska, and also the opportunities for outdoor recreation and winter sports.
I'd like to make a really nice gift for him to be ready when he arrives. A few pieces of information:
- Under $75 total. I could maybe stretch it to $100.
- I thought of a loaded up SmarTrip as an element, but his soon-to-be employer provides Metro benefits.
- As mentioned before, he loves the outdoors, camping, hiking, biking, skiing, etc.
- We will have a car, but not immediately.
- Our apartment is in DC proper and easily walkable from the Metro.
- He will be working on the Hill.
- Souvenir-type things (mini model of the Washington Monument! tiny Lincoln Memorial!) are not his thing.
- He's generally pretty hard to buy gifts for.
- He's generally uninterested in home furnishings and fixtures and such, so a "house-warming" type thing wouldn't be quite it. Also, our wedding is next month and I have a feeling that we will be wading through a lot of stuff around that time.
What would have made your transition to DC more awesome? What would just be cool to have? Although I'm not exactly a native, DC has been the nearest "big" city for most of my life and I've lived here on and off for several years, so I feel like my helpfulness sensor is off.