LondonShoppingFilter: I need to pick up a few travel-related bits and bobs during a one-day stopover in London on Saturday, the 20th of August, and I'd love to have it all done within, say, two or three hours. I'd love recommendations for shops which are relatively close together and well-stocked to save time.
I'll be based around St. Pancras, as that's where I'm arriving on Eurostar (around 10:00 am) and then leaving from to meet friends in the afternoon (around 4:00 pm/5:00 pm).
On the shopping list:
• a UK pay-as-you-go SIM card (not picky about the carrier) - presumably any mobile phone shop would have these? (though I'm not sure I need this - if I bought an Orange PAYG SIM at Christmas and haven't put any money on it since then, would it still work if I added credit?
• a packable, waterproof jacket, as close to this
as possible (that exact model would be awesome, but I'm not picky) - I've seen that there's a Blacks, which appears to be an outdoor/sports shop of sorts, near Tottenham Court Road - would that be a good place to try? Maybe an outdoor shop a bit closer to the station?
• a few OS 1:25000 "Explorer" maps of Cornwall - any good map shop or travel bookshop would work, I presume; I'm specifically looking for Maps #102 (Land's End/Penzance), #103 (The Lizard), #104 (Redruth/St Agnes), and #105 (Falmouth and Mevagissey).
• a suitcase that folds up into a little pouch and
that would survive being checked in on at least one flight and
which squashes down to very little space, a lot like this
- this one's a bit tricky - do luggage shops exist anymore?
Any advice is appreciated, even if it's just about one of these things. (I'll also pick up a map of London when I arrive at St Pancras, and am happy to travel a bit on public transport for a really great shop.)
Thanks in advance!
"Why not order this all online?", you ask. I wish I could - but I'm in Poland, and between shipping costs and the hassle of having to carry it back to England in a few weeks, I'd rather just get it all there! :)