Are there options for data-only plans for factory unlocked iPhone?

I want to get an iPhone primarily as a portable computer/GPS/camera, and sometimes if someone wants to Skype me, that would be okay too. I am uninterested in getting tied down to a voice plan for what sounds like an eternity. Thus, with the option to get an unlocked phone from the Apple Store, what are my options for data-only plans? AT&T seems to be the best data provider where I live (in the Upper CT River Valley of NH), so I found their list of plans at . Most of these are GSM plans but as a newb I'm concerned about the list of acceptible phones for each plan. Is there any reason these won't work with an unlocked GSM iPhone?
posted by Opa-Opa to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Why don't you get an itouch.
posted by TheBones at 6:23 AM on June 23, 2011 [1 favorite]

Asking at the ATT forum might be helpful.
posted by shoyu at 6:45 AM on June 23, 2011

You didnt specifically mention voice - iPad 3G?
posted by wongcorgi at 6:53 AM on June 23, 2011

I wholely support this idea. I use 1GB of wifi data for every 10MB of 3G. But, wireless is a cartel in the US and you will be hardput to find a provider that won't *require* you to purchase an expensive "smartphone dataplan". Of course, that's what the unlocked phone is trying to change!!

Check out the smaller prepaid type brands: cricket etc, because they may have more leeway in structuring plans.
posted by tintexas at 8:20 AM on June 23, 2011

Cricket is a CDMA provider and can't use the current unlocked iPhone.
posted by The Lamplighter at 10:27 AM on June 23, 2011

iPad 3G.
posted by oceanjesse at 1:55 PM on June 23, 2011

Agreeing with the people who say that you don't need an iPhone.
posted by AmbroseChapel at 7:25 PM on June 23, 2011

« Older Excel question (debt managemen...   |  I just got some vitamin E crea... Newer »