What web software should our organization use to create and organize a network of sites?
June 19, 2011 6:11 AM Subscribe
Our organization is looking to set up a network of sites (at least a 12 for now) for our coordinators in various cities. We have a bunch of specific requirements... Our coordinators are very smart people, but they're not necessarily web savvy. We need something that will make it really easy for them to do what they want, without needing help from us.
posted by Political Funny Man to technology (2 answers total)
- We need to be able to create a design template and then let our coordinators do everything within a WYSIWYG. They need an easy way to add their own logo, change colors, etc.
- We often provide content for our coordinators to add to their sites; like new curricula, slideshows via slideshare, etc. Wed like to provide all of the coordinators with this content, and allow them to simply click something like Add this page to your site - they can then edit it or change it however they want. I was thinking that one of the sites in the network can be informative for the coordinators (an intranet of sorts), where we provide the content itself, and then they can click on a link to add (first approve, then add) that content to their site. While yes, we can email this content out to coordinators or use google groups, etc, itd be really great if we could have it all in one place. Even better is if they could share content amongst themselves.
- It really has to be easy to use, and we have to presume they have never seen the backend of a website and really know nothing about running it. We can provide like 1/2 hour training session, but after that we really dont want to provide tech support.
- Languages are a very very important feature. We have programs in the US, Israel and Russia. That means that we need flawless Hebrew right-to-left support for content, and Russian content support.
- We need to own the content, and if necessary, be able to backup/export it to a new system.
We outgrew Weebly Pro, it just doesnt provide what we need. Weve looked at ImpressPages
, Word Press, and Virb
. We currently use Drupal for our main site, but its not an easy-to-use interface. Integration with Drupal would be great though.
Are there other places we should look? What network site creation tools do people know that they like?